Metuchen Edison History Features
In Old Metuchen
David Trumbull Marshall
Published by The Case Publishing Co., Flushing NY 1930
(Second Edition)- (c) 1930
The Metuchen Fire Department
This story was contributed by Mr. Lloyd Grimstead.
In 1880 the Eagle Hook and Ladder Company was organized as a volunteer fire company. Prior to this there had been a Hook and Ladder Company but there had been no meetings in years, and the old ladder truck was minus buckets, axes, and crowbars. This came into possession of the new company and was newly equipped.
The new company used an old shed back of the Presbyterian Church for their meetings. The roof leaked so badly that they had to put up umbrellas in order to keep dry.
The charter members were: O. F. Browning, Harry Eubank, St. George Kempson, E. Kramer, John Lehlein, John C. Martin, Brace Morbey, James Oliver, Theodore Robins, Nate Robins, John Robinson, Ferd VanSiclen, William VanSiclen, Frank Smith, Charles Watson, and E. Weinshank.
The old wooden building was later moved onto a lot near the railroad, bought from Ellis Ayers. In 1885 a brick building was built by donations. This was moved to its present site by the Pennsylvania Railroad when they acquired the land in 1888, and moved the station to its present location. Some time later, perhaps 1899, the old wooden shed was sold to William T. McAdams, and the present brick addition built.
Boyhood Days in Old Metuchen Title page
Metuchen Edison History Features index page
Metuchen Edison Historical Society page
Old Metuchen Photos page
James Halpin CPA page
Lasted updated 6/8/99 by Jim Halpin.